Quote and Credit

Quote and Credit

CLICK TO ORDER OR PREVIEW JIM LINDERMAN BOOKS

Indecipherable Sign Says ? No Trespassing Homemade Sign Free Styling Picking Handmade Folk Art Signs


The best "no trespassing" signs are the ones you have to trespass to read. You can click to enlarge this one, but it won't help any. Usually, the worse the sign looks, the most you want to follow the directions. I once had a shotgun pulled on me near a no trespassing sign. I had stopped not to read it, but to steal what I thought was portions of a LONG abandoned whirligig nearby. I was wrong, but learned having a gun drawn on you isn't really so bad. I was worried more about buckshot in the rental car than I was for my life.

I saw those nice boys on American Pickers buy a factory made porcelain no trespassing sign this week. Two comments. Boys? That weren't no good no trespassing sign, and you don't even KNOW "Free Styling"

Original Snapshot, circa? Collection Jim Linderman


BUY DULL TOOL DIM BULB BOOKS HERE

6 comments:

  1. Notis – Tresspassers will be percecuted to the full extent of two hungry dogs which was never over sochible to srangers & 1 dubble brl shot gun which aint loaded with soft pillers. Dam if I aint gitten tired of this hell raisin on my place E & M Springer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this before - the original may have been mentioned in the American Educator in 1909 and attributed to a Kentuckian:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=9wkCAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA121&ots=yj7H-2zxlT&dq=notis%20trespasser&pg=PA121#v=onepage&q=notis%20trespasser&f=false

    Seen also in "Law Notes" of 1909 attributed to an Illinois Farmer: http://books.google.com/books?id=5wMvAAAAIAAJ&dq=notis%20trespasser&pg=PA98#v=onepage&q=notis%20trespasser&f=false

    It has been copied pretty often with minor revisions
    http://www.huntersdomain.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=149

    There's even a commercial version available
    http://www.vosssigns.com/PlasPost2.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT WORK CLARKE! Thanks for Sharing!
      I am going to guess my original snapshot is from the 1930 to 1950 era, it is not a reproduction as it has a developers stamp on the reverse.

      Delete
  3. I can read both the words trespassing and dogs. There is no way I would go near that.

    ReplyDelete